Joe Wilson famous for shouting out “you lie” to Pres. Obama during the State of the Union, actually lied to all his twitter followers. In his orgasmic excitement about republicans wasting time to symbolically vote to repeal healthcare reform (even though they know it won’t make it in the senate), Joe Wilson tweeted this,
We need to be perfectly clear here. Republicans did not repeal healthcare reform, they VOTED to repeal healthcare reform. It must make it through the Senate before anyone can even conceive the notion that healthcare reform will be repealed. And with the Senate being controlled by Democrats, I highly doubt it would be repealed.
Unfortunately for the American people, this symbolic vote was a waste of time. When the House could have been focused on fixing issues that could pass the Senate, they decided to show off for the tea party (which has a high unfavorable rating) and vote to repeal healthcare reform.
Also, unfortuate for the republican party that the facts are not on their side.
- Independent, nonpartisan experts project only a “small” or “minimal” impact on jobs, even before taking likely job gains in the health care and insurance industries into account.
- The House Republican leadership, in a report issued Jan. 6, badly misrepresents what the Congressional Budget Office has said about the law. In fact, CBO is among those saying the effect “will probably be small.”
- The GOP also cites a study projecting a 1.6 million job loss — but fails to mention that the study refers to a hypothetical employer mandate that is not part of the new law.
- The same study cited by the GOP also predicts an offsetting gain of 890,000 jobs in hospitals, doctors’ offices and insurance companies — a factor not mentioned by the House leadership.
Healthcare hurts senior citizens? Republicans keep talking about cuts in medicare, unfortunately they don’t want to inform senior citizens that it’s probably because most of their services will not only be available more often, but available for FREE more often! Here’s a bit of the break via Forbes.
Here are a few of the medical services that will now be available at no cost every twelve months (more often where appropriate.)
- Annual physical exams
- Bone mass measurement
- Cardiovascular screenings*
- Colorectal screening
- Diabetes screening
- Diabetes self-management training
- Flu Shots
- Glaucoma tests
- Hepatitis Shots
- HIV screening
- Pap tests and pelvic exams
- Prostrate screening*
- Smoking Cessation
* In these instances, Medicare beneficiaries will receive tests at no cost but will be responsible for 20% of the cost for the office visit to the physician.
Currently, many seniors do not get an annual physical or deal with many of the issues covered by the list due to inability to pay. The failure to confront these issues often lead to serious illnesses going undiscovered – or discovered too late – resulting in longer and more expensive treatment and hospital stays – not to mention a severe decline in the quality of life.
Of course, with more seniors able to get that annual physical along with the other screening programs that will become available at no charge, there will need to be physicians available to them to provide these services.
In order to help insure that there are a sufficient number of doctors available, Medicare will begin paying higher sums to incentivize the physicians to remain in the Medicare program.
The next major change will greatly assist those who fall within what is known as the Medicare Part D doughnut hole. As the law stands today, Medicare participants are pretty much on their own after they have spent $2,840 per year on prescription drugs until such time as they reach $6,448 per year, the point at which the government steps back in to help.
Currently, certified nurse midwives are paid 65% of what a physician is paid by Medicare when treating patients. Beginning tomorrow, certified midwives will receive 100% of the payment rate given to physicians for performing the same services. The result should be growth in the number of people choosing careers as midwives. This will provide a significant measure of relief in caring for senior women living in areas short on physicians.
Those among other reasons are what the republicans are lying about. Good thing is that based on polling data, the American people aren’t really that fooled by the republican’s attacks on healthcare reform. But, lets let the childish republican house members pat themselves on the back, but eventually, they will need to start being adults and start coming up with ideas on how to solve the nation’s problems.